Booking the Taroko Express

There’s two types of trains going between Hualien and Taipei, Tze-Chiang Limited Express and Chu-Kuang Express.  When you book the tickets online from the official Taiwan Railways Administration website, look for the Taroko Express (太魯閣號)  as it is the fastest way to go from Taipei to Hualien at only 2 hours 10 minutes.  On the online train schedule, you won’t see “Taroko Express”, but you will see “Tze Chiang Limited Express” with two little green triangles underneath.  You can book your tickets either by train type, or train number so have these information ready when you are booking.

The booking opens 2 weeks before your travel date. I would book the tickets as soon as possible because these tickets are in high demand especially during peak season.  On my way back from Hualien to Taipei, the express tickets were sold out so I had to take the Tze Chiang Limited Express which took 3 hours to get back to Taipei.

Once you have booked your ticket online, you can print out the e-ticket.  When you get to the railway station, you will need to go to the ticket counter and collect the magnetic ticket as shown in the picture.  Once you have your ticket collected, you are good to go !

About these ads
This entry was posted in Hualien, Taipei, Taiwan and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Booking the Taroko Express

1. Sue says:

Hi there, i Plan to go hualian coming January 2013. But i saw on website that they require me to pick up the tickets within 3 days. If that is the case, how could i book the ticket online from overseas 2 weeks before my departure date?

• KJ says:

Hi Sue

Picking up the ticket 3 days before your travel is not necessary. You can book your ticket online 2 weeks prior to your travel date, print out a paper copy. Bring the paper copy on your actual travel date to the station, and exchange that for a magnetic ticket at the ticketing counter as that’s what you need to pass through automated ticketing gates. Have fun in Taiwan !

2. Wei Lin says:

Hi, is it a must to take tze-chiang express train with the green mountain logo below? or can I take chu-kuang express or tze-chiang (without the logo)? What are the difference?

• KJ says:

It’s not a must but since it’s an express it takes only 2.5 hours to go to hualien. Tze chiang and chi kuang go to hualien too but they can take up to 3-4 hours as they will have more stops along the way. So if you want to save time, the best is still the express.

3. VO says:

Hi, you said that it is not necessary to pick up the booked-ticket 3 days earlier, is that mean I can do it on the day of my departure to Hualien? Because it is impossible for me to pick up the ticket earlier than the departure date.
    Thank you.

4. Pingback: Taiwan Travel Itinerary – Taipei & Hualien in 8 Days. | Always Travelicious !

5. sesamis says:

Hi may i know what did you go in the internet web to start booking the taroko express train? Because i googled and a lot of travellers couldnt get the taroko express tix online! The tix are snatched up so fast, u mus been v lucky to get it online!

6. sesamis says:

Hi! May i know what time did you go into the tw railway web to book your taroko express train tix??
    Because i read online a lot of travellers couldnt get their taroko express tix /: u mus have been very lucky to get it online!

• KJ says:

Hi! The taroko express tickets open up online for sale 2 weeks before your travel date. So for example if you are going from taipei to hualien on 15th May, and coming back 20th may, you should book your two tickets separately. Book the 15th of May (taipei-hualien) ticket on the 1st May, and book the 20th May ticket on the 6th of may so you are grabbing the tickets as soon as they open up for sale. Good Luck getting the tickets!

7. Allan says:

Hi KJ,

If I don’t purchase the express train, is it possible to purchase the tickets on the date of travel? What is the nearest train from Taoyuan International Airport?

Regards

• KJ @ alwaystravelicious.com says:

Hi Allan. It depends on when you are travelling. If you are going to Hualien during weekend and public holiday, it might be difficult to get tickets. If you are going on weekdays, you should be able to get some. But it’s always best to pre book to avoid disappointment :)

8. susanissima says:

Hi KJ. I love your blog and especially this post. My son has lived in Taipei for eight years now and I travel to Taiwan every couple of years. The Taroko Gorge was amazing. The thousands of blue morpho butterflies blew our minds. The train up to Alishan to see mountains beyond mountains beyond mountains at dawn was also a view we’ll never forget. I look forward to reading more of your posts. I’ll also be writing about Taiwan in the future. Going to Taipei in late January for Chinese New Year. All the best.

• KJ @ alwaystravelicious.com says:

Hi Susan! looks like you have been to a lot of places in Taiwan! I am from Taiwan but I migrated at a young age so it’s a pitty that I am missing out on lots of lovely places in Taiwan. Have fun in Taiwan when you go and look forward to reading your adventures :)

9. Nia Simone says:

What a helpful post!

• KJ @ alwaystravelicious.com says:

Thank you ! A lot of people seem to find this post when they are doing the booking :)

10. JL says:

Hi, is there any luggage space (for a 25″) for the taroko express train? or where do you put your luggage ?

11. Hi KJ, I’m planning to go Taroko on the 3rd of Oct, is it alright to book 2 days before travel ? Tks kelvin

12. Benjamin Tan says:

Hi wanna check how I enter the “random number” when in confirmation? I have try a lotof time but i enter the number I saw but is still invalid… Please help me solve dis thanks very muchy

13. phoebe says:

Hi, you mentioned “You can book your tickets either by train type, or train number so have these information ready when you are booking.” is the train type: taroko express/tze chiang? and how do you find the train number? thanks

14. Joslyn says:

Hi! Saw your travel blog! It’s very useful!
    May i ask the details for the “Taroko Express” is there a two-way ticket? Because i’ve saw many reviews about the train limited departing times but no one mentioned about the return trip.

15. fanfankwok says:

HI can I ask you , can I take the taroko express from taichung to hualien ? I went to see the time table but bit confused. When does the train depart from taichung ? Thanks in advance.